Thursday 20 February 2014

An Unplanned Haitus and a Grow Your Blog Winner

I was supposed to announce the winner for the Grow Your Blog draw last weekend. I was supposed to do a lot of things on the internet the last couple of weeks, but an unexpected lightening strike put paid to that. It also zapped one computer, one amplifier and the playstation. And gave me a shock, but not a bad one because there was a surge protector on the computer I was using.
If I've missed posting on your blog I apologise but I've just had to draw a line under what I've missed and start again. If you are one of the new people who found me through the Grow Your Blog party and I haven't visited you back yet, I will get around to it, it's just taking a bit of catching back up.
No internet for a whole fortnight, aargh! It was like being back in the dark ages (only without the plagues and starvation).
So, what do you do with yourself for two weeks when you can't access the internet. Well if you are me you read three fat novels (I do love me a Fantasy Epic), and make stuff.
I have now made so many "useful baskets" from made from old denim jeans (see this post) that I am in danger of needing a useful basket to keep them all in.
I cut up a charity shop vintage scarf to make bias strips and used them to bind the neckline of a plain t-shirt following instructions in this book which Julie gave me for my birthday.
I also made a beaded bracelet, my spring exchange for Needlecraft Haven (can't show that yet), a runner from squares cut from vintage sheets and tablecloths
Two studded leather heart brooches 
inspired by this one in faux leather which I made from a cover kit from Mollie Makes
A handbag using some adorable Echino fabric. Look at the little red glasses on the stag in the middle! (pattern also from Mollie Makes)
Another cover kit - this one from Cross Stitcher
And a partridge in a pear tree
Anyway back to the Grow Your Blog draw. That's why you're still reading after all.  I put the numbers into the random number generator and it chose comment number 7, which was Gillie. Congratulations Gillie, your prize will be on it's way soon.

15 comments:

Shirley said...

I am glad that you weren't hurt. We depend more and more on our computers these days for all kinds of communication. Congratulations to your winner. You were busy for sure. Our weather is so crazy with thunder, lightening, hail, rain, and now snow all in one day. I am glad to see that your are back. Have a wonderful day. Shirley@shirleystitches

Gillie said...

Thank you so much, an original CW design! Well, your were a productive and busy bee, my goodness, but what a pain and such a long time too!

Kerryp77 said...

Great to have you back. It's surprising how much time the internet takes up. Fab makes and I love the bag!

Mylene said...

You sure really been productice and everything looks great!

Julie said...

Looks to me like your little mishap had something good about it, what a lot of lovely crafty stuff you've been up to. So pleased the books been useful to you.

Anna van Schurman said...

I kind of wish my computer would die so that I could get more stuff done! LOL

Kate said...

It certainly has been good for productivity Christine, for the shock factor and the damage - not so good. Glad you are all ok.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

A fortnight without t'internet? We'd all have left home and gone to stay with Grandma. Actually I have wifi at work so I might have just moved into the staff room there, imagine sleeping surrounded by books!

You certainly made the best of your journey into the past anyway. Some lovely crafty things being made.

Congrats to Gillie too.

ps glad you weren't hurt xxx

Chris said...

Wow! I am so glad that you didn't get hurt. You made some amazing things while you were without internet!!

Wendy said...

blimey, lightening! good job you weren't hurt. I love those leather brooches

Wendy said...

blimey, lightening! good job you weren't hurt. I love those leather brooches

Sally said...

So glad you weren't hurt Christine. Must have been scary.

You've been very productive during those 2 weeks. Love it all.

Carol said...

Yikes! That sounds very scary Christine--so glad you weren't seriously hurt, but I'm sorry to hear so many of your electronic "necessities" got fried... You sure kept busy during your computer-free time--lovely thing that you've made...

Congratulations to Gillie!

Barb said...

So pleased you are back with us Christine ,you were missed. Great makes, wonder what you will come up with next, I love coming over to see your latest creations.

Shroo said...

Well done on surviving your internet deprival! I've pretty much FORCED myself to live computer free for a couple of weeks but it's nigh-on impossible! But just LOOK at the gorgeous things you made! SO lovely! Enjoyed your wonderful post - welcome back to the world of the interweb! hugs from Shroo:)x