Sunday 7 October 2012

An autumn wreath (with tutorial) and a lovely gift

I decided the front door needed a little autumning up, so I made it a wreath. (Yes, I know, the front door still needs painting)
Now I know the post title said tutorial, but since I didn't bother to take pictures as I went it is more like written instructions.
You will need:
A twig wreath base
Felt in autumn colours
A bunch of wired artificial acorns (I got mine from EvilBay)
Assorted beads in berry colours
Organza ribbon
Wire
Glue

Start by making two felt chrysanthemums, one large and one small (for instructions on how I make these see this post).
Cut a paper template in the shape of an oak leaf and used it to make a pile of felt leaves in various colours - I used 8.
Wire up your beads into six short lengths. I cheated here. My wired bead stems were salvaged from last year's Christmas crackers!
Divide your acorns (or you can get apples and toadstools too, which would also work well) into four little bunches ~ two slightly larger and two smaller ~ and wire them to the wreath base, a larger one and a smaller one on each side (I find it works best if there an odd number in each bunch) with a gap in between them. Glue a felt chrysanthemum into each gap, and glue the leaves in place by the stalk ends in between. Finally wire the bead stems into place around the flowers and add an organza bow to the bigger cluster. (Yep, cheated here too, mine came off a box of chocolates)
Hang and admire. Linking up to Think Pink Sunday at Flamingo Toes.
A few weeks ago I bought this book by Lola Nova a couple of weeks back. There are some great projects in it. Anyway on her blog, Lola offered a giveaway of the book and a surprise gift. I didn't bother entering the book giveaway because, like I said, I'd already bought it, but I did put my name in the hat for the surprise gift and I won! And do you know what the surprise was? Only the fantastic cushion cover shown on the book cover.
It came yesterday, and it is just gorgeous. You wouldn't believe how well it fits in on my sofa. Just look at this. Could it be more perfect?
Kittens are totally banned from sitting on it. Husbands are pretty much discouraged too...

14 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats on your in, she must be psychic to have picked you with it being so perfect for your sofa!
Nice autumnal wreath.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a perfect prize! It looks made for your sofa.
The wreath is lovely too.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your wreath looks lovely - perfect prize too, it was meant to be :)

viv said...

How terrific to win the pillow.
Love your wreath.

cucki said...

Your wreath looks lovely..very sweet gift too..
hugs cucki xxx

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your wreath is gorgeous! Love your felt flowers...so beautiful. TFS. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
Hugs, Gayle.

Mouse said...

ooo love that wreath ... we have a plastic door so would have to do it for one of the inside ones mmmmmmm ..lol
love the cushion and your stitching and handy work from earlier posts ... can you tell I am catching up heheheh :) love mouse xxxxx

Nicola said...

What a gorgeous win. I love the wreath you have made.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Fantastic crafting as usual Christine!

Mylene said...

What a lovely win and great job on the wreath, beautiful!!

Carol said...

Such a fun pillow to have won--congratulations, Christine! And your wreath is so perfect for fall--love the felt chrysanthemums...

Lesleyanne said...

A lovely pin to win. Great wreath.

Sally said...

I love your Autumn wreath. it's so pretty.

Congratulations on your win:)

Angela said...

I love your Autumn Wreath and congrats on winning that beautiful pillow!