Monday 25 June 2012

Craft Wins, Craft Fail and Thrity Upcycled Goodness

So, I was trawling the interwebs yesterday and I saw this tutorial  at Positively Splendid, for a pleated ribbon cuff. The tutorial said it took less than an hour. 
Challenge accepted.
Actually it took 45 minutes including 2 minutes hopping round swearing when I ran the needle under my finger nail, and 10 minutes looking for the perfect buttons.
I'd call that Win #1
(The original cuff  is decorated along the middle with diamante trim, but my ribbon already had that lovely saddle stitch detail in the centre which I didn't want to hide, so I left that off, and added a couple of vintage buttons instead. Oh, and I reversed the direction of my pleats at the centre point instead of having them all go the same way.)
Win #2. My new washer pendant. I love how this came out.
Tutorial time (no pictures, because, honestly, it is too simple to need them)
You'll need:
One 1" washer
Four hex nuts
Hemp twine
Two lengths of suede thong ~ one the length you want the finished pendant to be and one about 4-6"
Two cord ends and a clasp
Craft glue


Smear your washer with a little craft glue and wrap with the hemp twine (think making a pom pom with a card circle). Don't cover it too tightly, you want a little of the metal to shine through. 
Leave to dry.
Take your shorter length of suede, pass one end through the washer and then thread a hex nut onto both ends and pull up snug (it should be quite a tight fit, it helps if you cut the thong ends at an angle). Now thread a hex nut onto each end seperately, slide up to desired length, knot the thong ends and trim off excess.
Take your longer length of thong and pass through the opposite side of the washer. Thread your final hex nut onto both ends as before.
Finally add a cord end to each end of the thong (I like to add a dab of glue as well for security) and attach your clasp and voila!
Simples, as your friendly local meerkat might say. Linking this up to Think Pink Sunday on Flamingo Toes
And now, to show that things don't always go according to plan, a craft fail. I've been admiring all these kilner jar finishes on other people's blogs, and one of my vintage embroidered tray cloths had suffered a minor altercation with a bottle of port, so I rescued an unstained portion and made this pincushion jar. 
Oh dear. 
This did not come out like I'd planned. It just looks sad and unfinished. Any ideas for salvaging it?


And the thrifty upcycling? I was in a charity shop a week or so ago and  found this rather gorgeous Monsoon dress. The fabric was beautiful, and the hem was entirely finished with this adorable beading detail
and it was about three sizes too big. Honestly it fit like a marquee. I could have held a circus in it, but you know me, it had to come home anyway to see what I could do with it. (Much to the woman in the shops dismay when I said I was going to cut it up, I might add). 
Anyway a litlle snipping and stitching later (and a few choice words when I realised I'd made the casing about a nanometre too narrow for the elastic I had), and I've got this floaty new summer skirt.
Now if only we had a summer...

7 comments:

Linda said...

It looks like the jar has something like a trademark design in the glass so I am not certain if this will work. Mount a graphic that goes with the embroidery inside the jar to form a faux reverse painted glass. Barring that, you can always tie a ribbon around the neck and add some felt flowers in co-ordinating colors. Love the skirt -- do you plan to take it back to the thrift shop to show it off?

Anonymous said...

lovely jewelry - thanks for sharing with us!
I love your jar and your skirt is so pretty!

Julie said...

Love the skirt,clever you,i bet it looks stunning when worn.

I keep seeing the kilner jar padded tops, me thinks I have a brand new one in the back of the pantry,better clean out said pantry and rescue it and have a go myself lol. A nice gingham ribbon might be nice around the top.

Heidi Kuijer said...

The skirt is so nice and I am sure summer will appear eventually for Europe so you can wear it. :-)

What about adding some ribbons and beads or charms to jazz it up more?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Dani - tkdchick said...

So creative and what a beautiful skirt!!!!

Carol said...

I love what you've done with the skirt, Christine--really a fun summer piece! What about adding a bit of ribbon around the edge of the mason jar top? Fill it with colored buttons, beads, stones, marbles--whatever and I think it would look very cute :)

Sally said...

Your skirt is lovely Christine.