Tuesday 27 June 2017

Some Sweet Day...

...I'll make her mine, pretty flamingo
Who else here is old enough to remember that song?
It was love at first sight when I spotted this Michael Miller flamingo print fabric. Unfortunately by the time I spotted it, it was sold out pretty much everywhere.
I spent hours trawling the internet and eventually I managed to track down a scant metre remnant from a UK online shop, and another metre from a shop in Germany.
My mother, who was a genius at this kind of thing, could take a slab of fabric and a waist measurement, and by application of some form of arcane mathematics make a perfect pleated skirt without a pattern in about ten minutes flat, so I thought I'd see if the eldritch seamstress maths gene had passed down to me
I haven't quite got her knack for it, because it took me the best part of an afternoon, but all in all I'm pretty chuffed with how it came out.


I added a some white ric rac to the hem, because, obviously, a flamingo border print skirt isn't anywhere near kitschy enough on its own
Now all I need is some sunny weather to give me a chance to wear it

11 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I did not know that song but a quick google reveals I was minus 4 months old when it was Number 1!
Ric-rac braid did feature more prominently in my childhood.
Very pretty skirt too.

Justine said...

I've heard of that song! I love your skirt. It's so pretty.

Vickie said...

YOU are a genius! This is awesome!!

Unknown said...

No wonder you fell in love with that fabric it's gorgeous and what a fantastic job you have made to turn it into a really pretty skirt.

Preeti said...

Your skirt is pretty and the pattern suits very well to the fabric print. Great job!!
An afternoon is still a good achievement, I might take 2-4 days to try sewing something like that.

Barb said...

Well Christine I think you have inherited the genes that is one spectacular skirt for an afternoons work. Love the material and yes I do remember the song, I had a thing for Paul Jones at one point.
Ah memories.

Kerryp77 said...

That's gorgeous Christine, fabulous job, fabulous talent.

Rhona said...

I think you got the genes after all....the skirt is fantastic and the fact that it took only an afternoon is amazing!

Sally said...

I have heard that song! I'm probably going to have the tune in my head all afternoon now lol!

Your skirt is gorgeous! Hope you get some decent weather soon so that you can wear it.

Julie said...

Fab skirt.
You have definitely inherited the sewing skills of your mother.

Wendy said...

that is fab! Gorgeous, great job!!