Tuesday 28 February 2017

Monthly Challenge, Dressmaking and Upcycling

Sunday was reveal day for the Needlecraft Haven Monthly Ornament Challenge. This month we did these fairisle style heart designs from Luli.
Here is mine, stitched in my favourite variegated red (Crescent Colours - Ruby Slippers), and white, and finished off with a teeny tiny pom pom trim.


The rest of the gallery is here
I've also been doing a spot of dressmaking. This is my version of the Lisette Traveller dress, done in a white broderie anglais for the bodice and a Lewis and Irene print cotton for the skirt, and finished with vintage buttons. I think it has a nice mid-century modern vibe.


I just hope we get enough good weather for me to be able to wear it!
And finally the upcycling. I'm sure you've seen the fancy marble coasters in the high end shops (eg John Lewis have a set of four for £20).
I picked up these ex-display samples of composite stone worktops for 10p each at a local DIY place.


All I needed to do was stick some self adhesive felt on the backs of them. Bargain!

11 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

A great challenge piece, thanks for choosing another lovely design. I love your dress - fingers crossed for some sun.

Julie said...

Loved your version of the challenge. The dress does look lovely.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, I love to stitch with Ruby Slippers - such a lovely variegated red. Well done on the dress, it looks fab and clever girl re the coasters.

Kerryp77 said...

Very pretty heart. The dress looks lovely and what a bargain with the coasters.

Preeti said...

Your ornament and dress, both are pretty! Smart DIY coasters! The designer things are always overpriced.

Wendy said...

that ornament is beautiful! i love the tiny pompom trim

Justine said...

I love your ornament! It's so pretty. Love the colours and the cute trim.

Your dress is gorgeous, you are so clever with the machine. And what a bargain those coasters are!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A lovely challenge finish. I hope you get a good summer so you can wear your dress. A good use for the ex-display samples.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The heart is wonderful and a lovely finish with the pom-poms.
Nice work on the dress and the upcycled coasters. What a bargain indeed!

Carol said...

I do love this heart-shaped ornament, Christine--something I will have to get up my nerve and try one of these days. Such a pretty new dress, too!

Funny, but I have been making coasters out of some Mexican tiles we bought in California. Seeing yours reminds me I need to show them on my blog soon!

Babs said...

such a cute heart :)