Sunday 9 September 2012

Crafting, cats and vintage finds

So, what do you make for the geek girl about town when she is about to set off into the big wide world?
A Tetris dress of course.
(Pattern from Vogue, fabric from Spoonflower)

Also a set of table mats/coasters,

and a cushion for her room.

And a pair of oven gloves that used to be a pair of jeans.
You want a tute for the oven gloves?
I forgot to take any pictures as I went along but it's fairly straightforward. Take an old pair of jeans and cut a strip from one leg the size of your oven gloves (I just used an existing pair as a pattern). This will form the insideof your oven gloves. You may have to piece it as I did to avoid tears or worn patches.
Cut two pieces from the back of the jeans, the width of the oven gloves, incorporating the arse pockets and going as far above them as you can get without including the waistband. Cut a strip from the other leg and piece it with the two pocket sections so that the open ends of the pockets are toward the centre and the whole piece is the same size as your inside piece.
Cut a piece to make a hanger. I just used a strip from one hem cut close and frayed back, but you could use a belt carrier loop piece as well.
Cut two pieces of wadding the same size as the inside and outside pieces, and baste one to the wrong side of each piece in a 10mm seam.
Place inside on top of outside, right sides together, sandwiching the hanger between them. Sew together around outside in a 15mm seam, leaving a 10cm gap for turning. Layer seams and trim corners. Turn right side out, pushing out corners with a knitting needle. Press and ladder stitch opening closed. Linking this up to Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes
I promised cats in the title. Here is Loki who has now learned to climb up the fence and trees. Jinx was up there too, but she'd gone by the time I fetched the camera.
And vintage finds, I mentioned them too. Here is the most fabulous vintage gingham apron I bought on Ebay. I love this. I just want to wear it and bake things. And make jam. And chutney. And drink tea. A lot.
And if you love vintage things check out the wonderful giveaway at The Victorian Motto Sampler Shop

11 comments:

Julie said...

Fab apron, mines still working wonders
You are a very talented mum, such beautiful goodies made with love.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love the leaving home gifts. The oven gloves are amazing too. I need new oven gloves but all I have is old jeans...

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Love the dress; it's so sweet! All the things you made are wonderful - love the oven mits!

cucki said...

i love the dress too..it is so sweet..
everything is so lovely..
sending you love xxx

Linda said...

If you every come to visit us, I will have to hide the aprons my grandmother made. Love the dress and leaving home gifts.

viv said...

Everything is lovely. You make so many beautiful things. Wishing your sweetie all the best.

Carol said...

Your daughter is so lucky to have a mom who is so creative--just love everything you've made for her!!

DUSTY said...

Looks like your sewing machine has been busy !! I love the oven mitts and the dress. I am sure she will enjoy the mats and pillow also. The vintage apron brings back memories. LOL !!

Sally said...

You made some fantastic things! Love those table mats/ coasters!

Heidi Kuijer said...

What a lucky girl to leave home with all these beauties in tow. I love the jeans oven mitts. You are so clever!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Dani - tkdchick said...

That tetris dress is awesome!