Sunday 17 July 2011

Vintage Goodies and Carnival Fun

I've managed to aquire a large amount of vintage awesomeness around ebay, the internet and charity shops this week.

This fabulous old 1950s needlwork magazine still has the original transfer in the middle. Its for those fabulously retro little poodles shown on a beret near the top left hand side. I don't think I'll be making the girls a beret anytime soon...

but I am definitely finding a way to use those poodles!











This little haul came from a wonderful website called Rag Rescue. A fabulous old drawn thread and Hardanger book, (all in Swedish but since it's mostly pictures and diagrams that doesn't matter too much) and two bundles of vintage fabric scraps. They were both nicely wrapped when they came, but I've opened the bundle of smaller scraps (on the right) already. I couldn't resist playing straight away, and made a little suffolk puff out of a delicious raspberry, clotted cream and duck egg floral print. With a vintage button from my collection and a twist of ribbon, hey presto, a vintage brooch! I even had enough left from the square to cover two small buttons.





And then I found this wonderful jug in a charity shop. All it needs is a big bunch of sunflowers...















In other news it was Carnival yesterday. I was collecting so I didn't take my camera down, but I took these pics at home before we left.
Here we see Naomi (white rabbit) and friends in their Alice in Wonderland costumes - sans Alice as she met us down there












and here is Eloise as The Bad Fairy,  for which she won the trophy for best dressed collector.
Note the papier mache skull on her wand. She has named him and he has taken up residence in her room. I suspect she soliloquises to him.

14 comments:

Mouse said...

ooo lovely finds :) and fab costumes there :) love mouse xxx

jane said...

lovely vintage goodies and great costumes too!

mdgtjulie said...

Great costumes, and great word (soliloquises)!!! I'll have to use that one myself someday. Great finds too. Grats on completing the broach too!

SheilasEmbroidery said...

It looks as if they were all set to have a good time. I love all your retro finds. I'm about to start a local(Tyneside)textile social history project with our EG branch in conjunction with Age UK and perhaps a couple of other local groups. These are just the sort of memorabilia we will, hopefully, be collecting, studying and then getting a group together to make a large memory quilt. Hey Ho what have I got myself into? Me and my 'bright ideas'

cucki said...

wow..very lovely costumes..great finds too..keep well xxx

Linda said...

Nice costumes
Fab, fab, fab retro finds.
Actually, I remember poodle skirts. I had a skirt similar to the yellow one but without the poodles.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/71315792/1950s-girls-rockabilly-poodle-circle

Julie said...

The girls look great, did you take pics of the parents?? LOL

Fab finds on ebay, super fabric and brooch

Carol said...

Nice finds, Christine! And the Carnival looks like great fun--your daughter's Bad Fairy costume is amazing :)

Katherine said...

You guys just have the BEST fun! Nice finds too!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What awesome finds! I love the jug myself!!!

Anonymous said...

Christine

I love Rag Rescue too and am a regular customer. Sandie is great and gets such lovely things.

love
Clare

Sally said...

Wow what fantastic finds Christine!

Fantastic photos of the girls!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Hi, returning the following! Love your fancy dress photos, my friend has the best fancy dress parties ever, we never need an excuse to get into costume.
I have nearly completed two of the monthly freebies for the Needlecraft Haven board where I've been lurking but not posting! Will remedy that soon.

Heidi said...

Wonderful treasures! There is something special about vintage handwork books and magazines. The world was a different place and yet vintage is so in now. Love the jug too.

Carnival looks like it was fun again.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi